Friday, December 22, 2006

Movie Review - Rocky Balboa

I'm a big fan of the Rocky films. I love a good underdog story and Rocky is the ultimate underdog so of course I root for the guy. And I'm also a big boxing fan too so it goes without saying that I'd enjoy the Rocky franchise. Hell, I even though Rocky V was okay, although definitely the worst of the bunch.

So I went to watch Rocky Balboa yesterday with my dad, who's also a big Rocky fan. And you know what? Me likey!!!

The latest in the series portrays Rocky as an old has been. His beloved Adrian has past away and he relives old glories by telling fight stories to patrons of his small restaurant. But when an ESPN computer matchup between the current champion Mason Dixon (real life champion Antonio Tarver) and Rocky results in a Balboa victory, the wheels are set in motion. Rocky feels like he still has something to prove to himself and Dixon needs a fight to win some popularity votes after beating up on chumps.

But all of the boxing stuff doesn't take place until late into the film. The first hour or so of the film concentrates on Balboa's life and even though it sounds boring, I found it very touching. He reunites with a woman whom he knew when she was a little girl and takes her as well as her son under his wing. He tries to connect with his son who is trying to get out of his father's large shadow. He reminisces about his wife. His life is basically about to end but he's not ready to go down that road yet. I thought that the storytelling of the Rocky character at this point was very well done and was not disinterested at all.

Then when the boxing time came, of course it was magic. People in the audience were even clapping and cheering whenever a familiar icon appeared like Paulie, the trainer Duke, or the raw egg bit. Hearing that "Gonna Fly Now" theme music and watching Rocky train in the musical montage ("Gotta have a montage! - from Team America) was awesome, although I wish we could have seen more. And the fight choreography may not have been as detailed and precise as previous films, but still crisp and effecient.

Sylvester Stallone not only starred in this film but he wrote and directed it as well and I think he did a bang up job. I've already mentioned how I liked the storyline and his direction was quite accomplished as well. Great job.

I give Rocky Balboa an 8/10. Go see it if you're a Rocky fan!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody's raving about Rocky! We were going to catch Pursuit of Happyness tonight but going to see Rocky instead. You mean Adrian's dead? Oh nooooo...

12/23/2006 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home