Sunday, October 28, 2007

Korea - Random Thoughts....

Here are just some random things I noticed about Korea....I may add more later as I think of them....

- Hardly anyone wears sunglasses here. I wore my sunglasses during the day just out of habit and I could "feel" getting looks from people....probably thinking, "who does that guy think he is? A celebrity? Punk!"

- Gangnam girls wear miniskirts no matter what the temperature. There were a couple of pretty chilly nights like in the low 50s and still you see girls in short miniskirts with no stockings. I don't know how they handle the cold.

- People eat their meals at all hours of the day. That's why there everywhere you go restaurants are open till like 2am or even 4am and they're still packed.

- You can't just order liquor. You gotta have "anju" or something to snack on or eat while drinking, even if you just finished dinner 15 minutes ago. I think this was already in my blood as I'm like that over here too. It's a wonder how Koreans stay so skinny with all of the drinking and eating.

- I question celebs who try to stay incognito by wearing large hats and/or sweat clothes. If ya ask me, they just draw more attention to themselves. Seeing a person walking around at night with a large cap or other type of hat only makes people seeing them think, I wonder who that is? I think they wanna be noticed so they dress that way. Especially if you're a B-list celeb. Who cares if people see you?

- I was so lazy this time around that I spent a few hundred on cab fare. I caught the subway a lot on my last trip but this time, just found the cabs to be more convenient. But every trip across the Han River costs a minimum of $10 so of course, the costs added up. If there's lots of traffic, the subways are actually faster.

- Traffic is no joke. Rush hour time at night is from like 6pm - 9pm so there's constant traffic. And people here don't pay attention to red lights. They treat them as stop signs. Pause for a while...and then if you don't see anyone, just go.

- My Korean is decent but I can imagine Korea to be a very difficult city to navigate if you can't speak the language. If you choose to visit, best to go with someone who can speak the language.

- I used an old fashioned toilet for the first time this trip, you know...the ones where you squat and the toilet is actually a hole in the ground? I didn't want to use it but I was desperate. Man, it's hard to maneuver in that position! I kept getting worried that I was going to soil my own pants or miss the target!

- I seriously need to detox. I've drunken everything there is to drink in Korea and on top of that, was smoking like a chimney! I don't normally smoke but it's one of those when in Rome things. It just fits the environment. I need to eat like nuts and raisins and drink nothing but water for the next week to clean out my system.

- Everyone holds hands. Yeah, you've seen girls do it and it's no biggie but I'm telling you....guys do it too. Not with fingers enclapsed or anything but guys do hold hands. But they do it only in short spurts. Not like girls who walk down the street together hand in hand. When guys I knew started doing it to me, it felt really weird but that's just how it is. Korean people are just more open about skinship. It's just their way of telling you that they feel close to you. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

- Lots of Koreans have been to Thailand, Japan, and the Phillipines. If you ask a Korean what countries they've been to, those are your top answers. Not too many have been to the states.

- I met Kwon Sang Woo, Kim Tae Hee, and Shin Eun Kyeong. Not the real actors but people with the same names as them. And it was their real names too!

2 Comments:

Blogger tabasco man said...

Awesome trip.

I want you as my tour guide, but no holding hands.

10/28/2007 7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what happened to ???

I know what you mean about the sunglasses. No one wears them huh?
But the sun can be blinding and they're trying to shield their eyes with their hands. Looks like they're saluting.

Hope your liver is recovering.

10/29/2007 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home