Thursday, November 08, 2007

Time For An Upgrade!!!

Umm....yeah. So I suddenly decided to upgrade my home entertainment system today by buying a new TV. I previously had a 46" Sony rear projection HDTV and it was fine, but I felt like I could do better. So for no better reason than "cuz I wanted to", I went out and picked up a Panasonic 50" plasma HDTV, model# TH-50PZ7OOU. I had done some homework the last few days regarding plasma and LCD sets in this size range and this Panasonic and the Samsung 50" plasma, model# FP-T5084 came up with the overall best reviews.

The next thing was to shop around for prices. Circuit City's prices were a few $100 cheaper and not only that, they offered an additional 10% discount if you picked it up at the store. Sweet! Another few hundred in savings! But I almost changed my mind while in the store today. Right next to the Panasonic I was getting was a brand new 52" Samsung LCD that looked simply AMAZING. They were playing the Blu-Ray version of Spiderman 3 and it looked so friggin' awesome. Talk about a 3D picture! I was so close to changing my mind and getting this set, even if it was $700 more than the set I was getting. But I had already bought the stand at Best Buy and the stand I bought could only hold up to a 50" TV max, so the Samsung LCD wouldn't have fit. But man! I want that TV!

So I got home and started all the hookups and connections and what not.

BEFORE - 7:30pm, before the takedown process
AFTER - 11:00pm, all pau!
Yeah, I know it took a while but I screwed up during the assembly of the TV stand. I screwed in a part in the wrong direction and didn't realize till I was almost done and one of the parts wouldn't fit into the screw holes. So I had to take the whole thing apart and start all over again. That was pretty frustrating. Idiot! I also took a 45 minute dinner break in between as well so overall, the time factor to set everything up wasn't too bad.

So how does the new system look? Dy-No-Mite! The picture surpasses that of my Sony and when I played my Transformers HD DVD, holy schneikies! I'm loving my new TV right now!

4 Comments:

Blogger Gee Why said...

Very nice! I like the glossy black contrast of the TV and stand.

11/08/2007 5:12 AM  
Blogger Sang Park said...

Very nice.... I was going to suggest Panasonic instead of Samsung for Plasma, and vice a versa for LCD, so I'd say you made the right choice!

Especially since I know you love sports. LCD (which I have) just doesn't look right with a bit of ghosting during a basketball game, IMO.

11/08/2007 9:12 AM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

thanks guys.

sangsama, what u wrote is good to read. i'm glad i made the right choice!

11/08/2007 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes me like the new 50" Plama TV. I will have to keep that one in mind when my parents start to look for one. May after the New Year.

That 10% off for in store pick up at CC comes in handy. Had a friend looking for a Home Theater System. I recommended she get the Onkyo HT-SR800 7.1 Channel Home Theater System. It has 2 hdmi in and one out. Also plenty audio (digital) and video hookups. This got rave reviwes on many sites. It was $50 off on the site and another $45 off with the 10% off for pickup. She is a happy camper.

11/08/2007 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home